There are hundreds of great business ideas that you can use to earn extra money with at home or even turn into a full time living with a little determination.
Let’s start with a little old fashioned brainstorming.
Sit down with a pen and paper (yes, get away from the darn computer) and write down ALL your interests. That’s right, ALL of them. I don’t care how silly they are or how unlikely they are to make money. Just write them down.
Here’s a short list so you get the idea. Yours should fill up a couple sheets of paper.
Okay, make your list and come back.
What I want you to do, is keep that list near you and look at it while you’re reading the following descriptions. If you think any of these descriptions fits something on your list, you might want to figure out some way to integrate them.
If not don’t worry I’m going to walk you through your list and try to give you some ideas myself. But for now, let’s take a look at some common ways to make an income on the Internet.
1. Survey Sites – These are sites that send you surveys which you take. If you qualify for the survey you can earn as much as $25 to $50 for one survey. Most surveys though are for points and discounts.
If you spent a whole day doing these it is conceivable that you can make a few hundred dollars a month doing these. You won’t ever get rich from them. Also, never pay for a list of sites that give surveys. This info is available for free online.
2. Paid Typing Companies/Data Entry – These actually fall into 2 types. The real paid typing companies where you have to actually have typing skills to get a job and the ones that are doing nothing more than typing ads on the Internet and getting paid if people buy things.
You can actually make some money doing this. The legit typing companies will pay a standard wage for the work you do, whatever the market will bare at the time. Never pay to get one of these jobs.
Better yet put an advertisement on Craigslist and Backpage hiring yourself out locally. Many local companies need people with typing and data entry skills. Some will allow you to work from home.
3. Freelance Writing – This falls kind of in the job category as you get paid for the work you do. The problem with this is that it’s hard to find these jobs if you don’t know where to look and they don’t pay much. If you worked 8 hours a day doing this you’ll probably make about $2000 a month.
That’s just an educated guess. Depends on how good you are.
Most people do this in their spare time and maybe make a couple hundred dollars monthly. The trick is finding companies that offer this service or people who will pay you to write for them. Tons of internet marketers hire writers but they don’t want to pay you much at all.
4. Internet Researcher – This is very similar to freelance writing. The pay varies greatly depending on the job itself. If you can do this full time, you’ll make a little bit more than a freelance writer since research requires a lot more work. You’re looking at about $3500 a month for 8 hours a day. But this is a tough gig and not easy to find.
Unless you are very good at. Then word will get around and you will have more business than you can handle.
5. Mystery Shopping – Actually, this isn’t really an Internet based job but you can find these jobs online so I included it . You need to have a car and be able to travel to where they send you. Depending on where you live you can either get a ton of jobs or very few. Geography plays a big role in this.
This is something that you can make about $1000 a month doing if you did it full time and got that much work, but most people make a couple hundred bucks a month at most. With the rising gas prices this isn’t as attractive as it used to be.
I haven’t checked but with so many companies online now there may be mystery shopping online. Now that I think about it I know that there are. Search for it on Google.
6. Selling Other People’s Products – This is called affiliate marketing and can actually be very lucrative if you put in the time to promote. Ad expenses can chew you up and if you pick products that nobody is interested in you can end up making very little.
Clickbank is one of the biggest companies offering this service. It is best to do a lot of research on a product before you decide to try selling it.
Because there are so many existing products out there to choose from, this process can take a long time. The earning potential here is unlimited if you have the resources.
But about 90% of affiliate marketers don’t make any money because they don’t advertise properly. The other 10% earn anywhere from a few hundred dollars a month to $50,000 a month or more.
7. Creating Your Own Business – This is where you make your own ebook, videos, reports or start your own service, or maybe even create a physical product and sell it on Amazon.
The potential with your own business is unlimited depending on what you’re selling. When I say your own business, I don’t mean to join one of these sites that say “We’ll give you your own business.”
These are just cookie cutter sites that thousands of other people have. And there is nothing wrong with them. But you will be limited to what you can do with them as most have pretty fixed sales templates.
Some are better than others. So do your homework on them if you don’t want to build a product and website from scratch.
8. Network Marketing- These are programs where you get people to sign up and hope that they do the same. Some of these programs can be 10 or more levels deep. You need to be careful with these. The ones that have no product or service and are simply pyramids are illegal and will eventually get shut down.
What most of these companies do is include things like ebooks, auto responders, etc. so that they give the appearance of being legit. Some actually are. A lot of the stuff given away are worthless. It’s hard to know what has value and what doesn’t unless you’re a seasoned marketer.
Having said that a lot of the stuff you get from new internet marketers is no good also. It’s mostly just old rehashed ebooks and reports. You have to really do some thinking to come up with good products that other internet marketers and business owners can benefit from.
Most people don’t want to think that hard so they all sell the same old stuff.
Earning potential with these programs can literally be millions of dollars a year. But 90% of all people who join these fail.
The 10% who have some success range in income from a few hundred dollars a month to $100,000 or more. Only about 1% make more than $10,000 per month. Plus, the expense of some of these programs can be quite large.
Within each of the 8 great business ideas I gave are probably hundreds of more great business ideas.
There are hundreds if not thousands of network marketing companies out there. Some are actually really good and changing the way people have thought in the past about MLM and network marketing.
I highly recommend one program and yes I am a member and love it.
Click here to learn more about the program that pays 100% commissions.
I have been involved in affiliate marketing for about 4 or 5 years now. If you want to learn everything you can about affiliate marketing from A-Z the best program available to you in my opinion is run by David Perdew.
He has about 60 of the top instructors around that teach at his events. Some of them are at the top of the industry.
To find out more affiliate marketing click here.
I have hired researchers and writers in the past before. They vary greatly in what they charge and how good they are. You can find some writing and research jobs by just doing a Google search.
You can try the big outsourcing companies or you may do better off going to work for a small online company that specializes in article writing.
Remember the big list you made earlier. Go to Google and just start typing in some of the things you like. A few hours of research and you might be surprised at what you find.
Narrow the list down… You research will probably lead to new business ideas. Don’t rush this research.
In conclusion there are more great business ideas for working online than most people realize. I didn’t even touch selling on Amazon and Ebay.